I started using Word 2007 in February 2008 while working at a client's office. I gave it a good try, for about four and a half months. Given enough time, I could accomplish everything I needed to do in a document, but I felt that the program tied my hands.
Here's an analogy: Imagine that you're a plumber and you have made an investment in a good set of tools. For example, you have six wrenches, to handle different sizes and types of pipe. But one day you go to a certain customer's house. He stops you at the door and say, you can't bring your toolbox. Instead, he says, use this one. It only has one tiny wrench.
I normally keep Word set to use three dictionaries at all times: (a) "Custom.dic", that includes terms that are always correct in any language, (b) a client dictionary, for terms (mostly names and places, some specialized terms) used only on the current project, and (c) a language-specific dictionary, either "English.dic" or "Spanish.dic". These include terms that are always correct in one language but not the other. I have been using a set of macros, originally written in 2002-3, to switch between English and Spanish.
In Word 2007, this macro consistently fails to add one of these dictionaries, and it takes about 6 mouse clicks to add the missing dictionary.
In Word 2007 you are limited to ONE toolbar. Your only option is to display it above or below the ribbon. If you have more macros than fit on the toolbar, then that's too bad, they "spill off" the right edge and are not immediately visible.
For instance, the Word Shift-F3 command (in all versions of Word) is not smart enough to apply true "title case" (lower case for unimportant words such as articles and prepositions). I have a macro that corrects the case of a string of text to "Title case". To use it, I select the text and click a toolbar button labeled "TitleCor".